![]() |
| This is blackie our guard dog. He is awfully cute but likes to bark at night. I guess thats why they call him a guard dog? |
| My bed with a mosquito net to keep out the chameleons (and the mosquitos, of course!). |
![]() |
| My long and narrow bathroom. Please note the shower head that is in the middle of the bathroom. Yes, I shower in front of the sink. This is slightly different than in the U.S. |
| I spy Mt Kilimanjaro over the fence outside of our house :) |
We have been at clinic for 2 days now but unfortunately have not seen any patients. Since everyone is still coming back to town after Christmas and trying to settle into daily routines, people are not coming in for therapy. Next week is a WIT (week of intensive treatment) where kids and their moms come from the surrounding villages for an entire week of therapy, so that they can continue with exercises at home. They spend the night in houses at CCBRT and get therapy for several hours a day. This happens 3 out of 4 weeks a month. We are hoping next week will be busier! Below are pictures of CCBRT.
| Kelly in the staff room which has basically become our huge office. People come in and out all day for Kahawa (coffee) and chai (coffee with milk) |
| The free staff instant coffee. Instant coffee means you add a little coffee powder, some sugar, pour hot water over the top and stir. |
![]() |
| PT gym! |
| The rooms where the families stay during week of intensive treatment. There are approx 12-14 other rooms like this one. |
| Half of the CCBRP grounds. The buildings ahead hold staff offices and conference rooms. |
| Play ground for the kiddos. |
Kelly and I have been working hard to learn some basic Swahili. We are in the process of getting a tutor so that our communication improves. Here are a few of the Swahili words we have learned these past few days:
1. Habari - Hello/How are you2. Nzuri - Fine
3. Sawa - ok/alright
4. Asubuhi - Morning
5. Asante - Thank you
6. Kesho - Tomorrow
7. Pilau - Rice with meat
8. Kahawa - Coffee
9. Punda - donkey :)
Baadaye (See you later!)
Krista



It looks beautiful! I'm glad you two are settling in a little more, the pictures are great! Love you lady!
ReplyDeleteI agree, the photos are excellent. I loved seeing Kilimanjaro over your fence and learning the Swahili word for donkey. i've always wanted to know that. i hope you can find some fun things in your new environment to explore until business picks up! Frost, ice chips, chattering teeth...
ReplyDeleteWhoa - everything is so much nicer than I imagined. So glad you two seem to be slowly adjusting to your new surroundings. Blackie looks totally sweet and Kili is simply asking to be climbed. Keep up the Swahili - by the time we get there I won't have to speak to all the local folks very slowly in a really loud voice in order for them to understand me. You know how well that worked in Spain.
ReplyDeleteSo fun to see all the pictures and learn about your daily life. Sounds very interesting and what an experience. I enjoy being able to share your experience through your blog. wishing you a wonderful experience.
ReplyDeleteKim Walz