Friday, January 4, 2013

Departure!

The UNTHINKABLE has happened . . . I am writing a blog!!!  I am more shocked about me writing a blog than I am about my departure for Africa :)

After significant encouragement from my mom, I have decided to blog during my time in Tanzania in order to keep my family and friends updated on my where abouts and aventures.  As many of you already know, my family leaves all of the writing activities (caring bridges, essay corrections, resume editing, etc) up to my older and wiser sister Brittany.  However, this one is all on me.  Scary I know.  So please bear with me as I am not a phenomenal writer.

Today is the day: DEPARTURE!  Today I depart for my 3rd clinical which is at a pediatric clinic in Tanzania, Africa.  When I mention "Kelly" in my blog I am referring to my partner in crime, my classmate, and my friend who I am traveling with for the next 11 weeks.  I am beyond excited to begin this adventure and be able to share as much of it as I can with everyone through my posts and pictures.

Our tentative itinerary for the next 3 months is outlined below . . .

The first 5(ish) weeks we will be living in Moshi which is a north eastern town located at the base of Mt Kilimanjaro.  In Moshi we will hopefully be doing all of the following and more.
1. Working
2. Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro
3. Going on a Safari
4. Visiting the PT school located in Moshi
5. Visiting various orphanages and schools
6. Having fun!

We will then fly to Dar es Salaam for 5(ish) weeks which is a big city on the eastern coast.  Here in Dar we will be . .
1. Working
2. Touring the city - the Dar region has approx 2.5 million people.
3. Traveling to Zanzibar frequently
4. Going to beaches
5. Having fun!

The 11th and final week of my clinical, my family (mom, dad, and Britt) will be flying to Tanzania for a little vacay of their own in Dar and Zanzibar :)  I will be joining them at the completion of my clinical where we will head back to Moshi for a 6 day family Safari!!  I already can not wait for them to arrive.

I know this is going to be the experience of a lifetime and I can not wait to share it with everyone!  I am planning on posting updates about once a week, however, with our busy schedule and the unreliable internet I will do my best!  Happy reading :)

Special shout outs/thank yous to those that donated items for my trip and for the clinics in Tanzania!  You guys are great!
My Mom and Dad
Anna Kramer
Rita Smith
The Walz Family
Sue Hird
Stefanie Kelly
Jeanne Lojovich




1 comment:

  1. Way to go Krista! So cool about your first blog post. And that Africa thing sounds cool too. It's weird to think that you're enroute as I type this. I look forward to photos and stories to make it all come alive. You are so blessed to be able to take this trip. I know you will soak it all in!

    ReplyDelete