On Saturday, we headed to the Chemka hot springs with our co-worker from CCBRT, Ruston. We rode the daladala about 40 min to Boma Ng' Ombe (I still can not pronounce the name) and then took a taxi on the bumpiest road yet, 35 ish min to the hot springs. People refer to them as hot springs but they were technically around swimming pool temp. But it was absolutely gorgeous!! The water was a turquoise color and crystal clear, you could see the rocks on the bottom. The springs were surrounded by a forest of various plants and trees, and there was a rope swing that we used several times as well :) Such a great day!
| Ruston and I in the water! |
| Enjoying the rope swing! |
Meserani Snake Park and Maasai Museum:
On Sunday, Kelly and I ventured to Arusha via 2 hour daladala ride. Once we arrived in Arusha, we took a 30 min taxi ride to the Snake Park in Meserani. The park was home to over 20 variations of snakes that are all native to Tanzania. Some large, some small, some poisonous, some not. The majority of them were in cages which helped us remain calm and interested :) The snake park also housed a few owls, a monkey, crocodiles, and turtles! At the end of the tour, Kelly and I had the opportunity to hold a baby crocodile, a snake, and a turtle. We were nervous at first but it was exciting!
| Monstrous python! |
| No biggy . . . just holding a snake |
| And a baby crocodile |
![]() |
| Giving some love to the turtle that didn't hide in it's shell |
We then took a brief tour through the Maasai museum. We learned about the life, traditions, and culture of the Maasai tribe. The Maasai are a nomadic tribe located in northern Tanzania with distinct roles for the women and the men. The women build the homes (out of sticks, cow dung, water, and soil) and take care of the children, and the men travel for up to 2 months at a time herding cattle and providing for the families. Just to give you a quick summary. Following the museum tour we rode camel's!! Followed by a long journey back to Moshi.
~Krista

The face you are making in the rope swing picture is one of the greatest things I've ever seen! Sounds like you had an amazing weekend Deetz, keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteIt's so fun, interesting, & informative reading your tales! Thank you for sharing your adventures. I'm so glad you're making the most of your experience by doing some traveling. There is NO WAY I would be brave enough to hold a snake!!!
ReplyDeleteI hope this comment goes through - I tried before & didn't get it to work! Technically challenged! Stay safe. Love you!!! Aunt Sue
By the way Krista - you look great & happy! That is comforting for us back here. The springs are beautiful, more so since it's sooooooooo frigidly cold in WI. Love the camel picture! :)
ReplyDeleteAunt Sue